Dr. Robert Gandy
Dr. Robert Gandy
Rob Gandy is a specialist Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) surgeon with a specific interest in the provision of high quality care of patient with pancreatic disease and pancreatic surgery. He has a specialist interest in minimally invasive approaches to Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer surgery. Dr Gandy is a consultant at the Prince of Wales Public and Private hospitals and is a clinical lecturer at the University of New South Wales. Dr Gandy’s aim is to provide you with professional personalised care throughout the duration of your illness and into the future.
Dr Gandy completed his Batchelor of Medicine and Surgery (MB ChB) at the University of Leeds in 2002. He completed basic surgical training with the Yorkshire School of Surgery in 2005 as well as Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. After emigrating to Australia in 2006, he completed a master’s in surgery in 2010 at the University of Sydney. During this time, he contributed to laboratory research into the early identification of pancreatic cancer at the Kolling Institute.
Dr Gandy Completed fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2015, before specialising in Pancreatic, Liver and biliary surgery. In 2017 he was passed post fellowship examinations in Hepatobiliary surgery after a 2 year Australian fellowship with the Australian and New Zealand Association of HPB surgery.
Currently, Dr Gandy provides outpatient surgical consultation for public and private patients at Arthur Street Specialists in Randwick. He performs a range of complex laparoscopic and open pancreatic surgery at both the Prince of Wales Public Hospital and the Prince of Wales Private Hospital.
Dr Gandy performs venous resection and Reconstruction and offers open irreversible electroporation (to eligible patients) with borderline and unresectable pancreatic tumours. Dr Gandy also offers a wide range of surgery for non-pancreatic conditions and endoscopy.
Specialist Surgical Training
Hepatopancreatobiliary surgery and liver transplantation Fellowship (ANZHPBA)
-Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW
Hepatopancreatobiliary and Upper gastrointestinal surgery Fellowship (ANZHPBA)
-Liverpool and Bankstown Hospitals, NSW
Master of Surgery
-Kolling Institute, Royal North Shore Hospital, University of Sydney, NSW
General Surgical Training
Advanced General surgical training
2010-2016 Prince of Wales and Bankstown Hospitals Surgical Network
Unaccredited surgical rotations
2006-2010 Prince of Wales and St Vincents’ Hospitals
Basic Surgical TrainingP
Yorkshire School of Surgery
2002-2006 St James University Hospital, Leeds
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- Australian and New Zealand hepato-pancreato-Biliary Association (ANZ HPBA)
- Australian and New Zealand gastro-oesophageal surgical association (ANZGOSA)
- International association of Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary surgeons (IHPBA)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG)
- General Surgeons Australia (GSA)
- Sydney Upper GI Society (SUGGS)
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI)
- Book Chapter: Management of low rectal cancer with synchronous liver metastasis. RC Gandy and C Sandroussi ‘Case based lessons in the management of complex Hepato-Pancreato-biliary Surgery’2016 edited by Timothy Pawlik.
- Commissioned editorial: Centralising care for patients with pancreatic cancer: a hybrid model appaoach, Med J Aust.2016
- Original research article: Comparative Validation of Abdominal CT Models that Predict Need for Surgery in Adhesion-Related Small-Bowel Obstruction. PF Yang, DP Rabinowitz, SW Wong, M Kahn, RC Gandy. World J Surg2016
- Original research article: Short and long term outcomes of older patients undergoing hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases. RC Gandy, T Stavrakis, KS Haghighi. ANZ J Surg. 2016
- Commissioned review: Should the non-operative management of appendicitis be the new standard of care? RC Gandy and F Wang. ANZ J Surg, 2016.
- Consensus guideline: Refining approaches of care for patients with pancreatic cancer; Findings of the Australasian pancreatic cancer workshop. RC Gandy, A Barbour, M Nikfarjam, J Samra, KS Haghighi, J Kench, D Goldstein. Med J Aust. 2016
- Original research article: Hepatic resection for non colorectal, non endocrine liver metastases. RC Gandy, P Bergamin, KS Haghighi. ANZ J Surg.2015
- Response to: Hepatic resection for malignant liver tumours in the elderly; systematic review and meta-analysis. RC Gandy, NM Merrett. ANZ J Surg2015
- Consensus guideline: Definition of surgical standards for pancreatic cancer: a consensus statement by the Australian gasto-Intestinal Trials Group. RC Gandy, A Barbour, M Nikfarjam, J Samra, KS Haghighi, J Kench, D Goldstein. org.au
- Original research article: Safety of Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery in a Low-Volume Setting: Review of Early and Late Outcomes. RC Gandy and CR Berney Gastroenterology R & P, vol. 2014
- Original research article: Discovery of diagnostic biomarkers for pancreatic cancer in immunodepleted serum by SELDI-TOF MS. A Xue, RC Gandy, L Chung , RC Baxter, RC Smith. PancreatologyMarch 2012
- Original research article: Discovery of serum biomarkers for pancreatic adenocarcinoma using proteomic analysis. A Xue, C J Scarlett, L Chung, G Butturini, A Scarpa, RC Gandy, S R Wilson, R C Baxter and R C Smith. Br J of CancerJuly 2010
- Original research article: Outcomes of appendicectomy in an acute care surgery model. Gandy, P Truskett, S. Wong, S. Smith, M. Bennett, A. Parasyn. Med J Aust, 2010
- Case report and literature review: Aberrant cholecystohepatic ducts. R.Gandy, W. Hargreaves and D. Fenton-Lee. ANZ J Surg2010
- Case report and literature review: The use of a 910 Polyglactin (Vicryl) mesh to obtain haemostasis and prevent further fracturing in a transplant kidney. Gandy R, Asthana S, Ahmad N, Lodge JPA Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2006
- Original research article: How can Psychiatrists better support the work of University Medical Centres and University Counselling Services? Waller RM, Mahmood TA, Gandy R, Delves S, Humphrys N, Smith D Br J Guidance & Counselling, 2005
- Gandy RC, Haghighi K. Centralising care for patients with pancreatic cancer: a hybrid model approach.The Medical journal of Australia2017;206(1): 21-2.
- Gandy RC, Bergamin PA, Haghighi KS. Hepatic resection of non-colorectal non-endocrine liver metastases.ANZ Journal of Surgery2017;87(10): 810-4.
- Gandy RC, Stavrakis T, Haghighi KS. Short‐and long‐term outcomes of elderly patients undergoing liver resection for colorectal liver metastasis.ANZ journal of surgery2016.
- Gandy RC, Barbour AP, Samra J, et al. Refining the care of patients with pancreatic cancer: the AGITG Pancreatic Cancer Workshop consensus.The Medical journal of Australia2016;204(11): 419-22.
- De Sousa SM, Haghighi KS, Qiu MR, Greenfield JR, Chen DL. Synchronous nesidioblastosis, endocrine microadenoma, and intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasia in a man presenting with hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia.Pancreas2016;45(1): 154-9.
- Chandrasegaram MD, Goldstein D, Simes J, et al. Meta-analysis of radical resection rates and margin assessment in pancreatic cancer.British Journal of Surgery2015;102(12): 1459-72.
- Barbour A, O'Rourke N, Chandrasegaram MD, et al. A multicenter, phase II trial of preoperative gemcitabine and nab-paclitaxel for resectable pancreas cancer: The AGITG GAP study.Journal of Clinical Oncology2015;33(15_suppl): 4115-.
- Smith RC, Creighton N, Lord RV, et al. Survival, mortality and morbidity outcomes after oesophagogastric cancer surgery in New South Wales, 2001-2008.Med J Aust2014;200(7): 408-13.
- Mackie FE, Kennedy SE, Rosenberg AR, Kainer G, Frawley JE, Haghighi KS. Safety and Adequacy of Percutaneous Biopsies in Pediatric Orthotopic Kidney Transplantation.International Journal of Organ Transplantation Medicine2012;3(1): 26-31.
- Gupte GL, Haghighi KS, Sharif K, et al. Surgical complications after intestinal transplantation in infants and children—UK experience.Journal of Pediatric Surgery2010;45(7): 1473-8.
- Haghighi KS, Glenn D, Gruenberger T, Morris DL. Extending the limits for curative liver resections by portal vein embolization.International Surgery2009;94(1): 43-7.
- Parasyn AD, Truskett PG, Bennett M, et al. Acute-care surgical service: a change in culture.ANZ Journal of Surgery2009;79(1-2): 12-8.
- Kuzinkovas V, Haghighi K, Singhal R, Andrews NJ. Paraduodenal hernia: a rare cause of abdominal pain.Canadian Journal of Surgery2008;51(6): E127-E8.
- Woon WWL,Haghighi KS, Zuckermann RS, Morris DL. Liver resection and cryotherapy for metastatic melanoma.International surgery2008;93(5):247-7.
- Hobson ML, Johari AS, Woon W, Haghighi KS. Mesenteric Panniculitis causing ischaemic bowel – A case report.International surgery2008; 93(4): 238-40.
- John AR, Haghighi KS, Phillippe T, Esmat E, Bramhall SR. Is raised CA 19-9 diagnostic for Cholangiocarcinoma in patients with no history of sclerosing Cholangitis.Digestive Surgery2006;23(5-6): 319-24.
- Haghighi KS, Sharif K, Gupte G, et al. Is Serum Gentamicin Level a Good Predictor of Graft Injury in Intestinal Transplantation?Transplantation Proceedings2006;38(6): 1733-4.
- Haghighi KS, Steinke K, Hazratwala K, Kam PCA, Daniel S, Morris DL. Controlled Study of Inline Radiofrequency Coagulation-Assisted Partial
- Nephrectomy in Sheep.Journal of Surgical Research2006;133(2): 215-8.
- Morris D, Haghighi K, King J, Daniel S. In-Line Multielectrode Radiofrequency Ablation: A new technique to minimise blood loss in hepatic parenchymal transection. Annals of Surgical Oncology; 2005: Springer 233 Spring St, New York, NY 10013 USA; 2005. p. S77-S.
- Haghighi KS, Wang F, King J, Daniel S, Morris DL. In-line radiofrequency ablation to minimize blood loss in hepatic parenchymal transection.The American Journal of Surgery2005;190(1): 43-7.
- Haghighi KS, Steinke K, Hazratwala K, Kam PCA, Daniel S, Morris DL. Controlled Study of In-Line Ovine Spleen Transection Assisted by Radiofrequency Ablation.Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery2005;58(4): 841-4.
- Steinke K, Haghighi KS, Wulf S, Morris DL. Effect of vessel diameter on the creation of ovine lung radiofrequency lesions in vivo: Preliminary results.Journal of Surgical Research2005;124(1): 85-91.
- Haghighi KS, Steinke K, Hazratwala K, Kam PCA, Daniel S, Morris DL. Controlled study of Inline radiofrequency ablation (ILRFA) assisted transection of ovine liver.Journal of Surgical Research2005;123(1): 139-43.
- Haghighi KS, Woon WWL, Akhter J, et al. A new source of hepatocytes for transplantation.Transplantation Proceedings2004;36(8): 2466-8.
- Glasson R, Haghighi KS, Richardson G. Chicken bone perforation of a sigmoid diverticulum.ANZ Journal of Surgery2002;72(6): 448-9.
- Teoh W-C, Haghighi KS, Morris DL. Aggressive multimodality treatment for primary malignant peritoneal mesothelioma.ANZ Journal of Surgery2001;71(11): 683-5.
- Haghighi KS, Ng H, Merrett N. Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Of A Bifid Gall Bladder With Two Separate Cystic Ducts.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery2000;70(8): 621-2.
- Chaplin JM, O’Brien CJ, McNeil EB, Haghighi K. Application of Prognostic Scoring Systems in Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery1999;69(9): 625-8.
- Chui AKK, Haghighi K, Painter D, et al. Donor fatty (steatotic) liver allografts in orthotopic liver transplantation.Transplantation Proceedings1998;30(7): 3286-7.
- Chui AKK, Jayasundera MV, Haghighi KS, et al. Octreotide Scintigraphy: A Prerequisite for Liver Transplantation for Metastatic Gastrinoma.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery1998;68(6): 458-60.
- O'Brien CJ, Lee KK, Stern HS, et al. Evaluation of 250 Free-Flap Reconstructions After Resection of Tumours of the Head and Neck.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery1998;68(10): 698-701.
- Wallington M, Mendis S, Premawardhana U, Sanders P, Shahsavar-Haghighi K. Local control and survival in spinal cord compression from lymphoma and myeloma.Radiotherapy and Oncology1997;42(1): 43-7.
International and National Presentations
- Evaluating the management matrix of acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding in an acute care surgery model. RACS ASC, Brisbane, May 2016
- A modified pancreaticogastrostomy technique to minimize pancreatic fistula. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- The simplicity of en bloc resection of diaphragm and liver tumours: A safe and effective technique of primary diaphragmatic repair with low respiratory morbidity. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- En bloc resection of diaphragm and liver tumours: An effective technique of diaphragmatic repair avoiding routine intercostal drain. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Safety of extended pancreatectomy compared to standard pancreatic resection based on ISGPS definition. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Laparosocopic completion cholecystectomy following previous incomplete cholecystectomy: a case series IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Reciprocal care arrangements in HPB cancer surgery – Helping swallow the bitter pill of centralisation IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Short and long term outcomes of older patients undergoing hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Hepatic resection of non-colorectal non-endocrine liver metastases. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- The soft pancreas: Pancreato-gastropexy with pancreatogastrostomy minimizes pancreatic fistula rate post pancreatoduodenectomy. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Applying the white test at laparoscopic hepatectomy to identify bile leaks. IHPBA 12thworld congress, Sao Poalo, Brazil, April 2016
- Laparosocopic completion cholecystectomy following previous incomplete cholecystectomy: a case series NZAGS meeting, Auckland, New Zealand, March 2016
- Synoptic reporting improves the histopathological assessment of pancreatoduodenectomy specimens. NZAGS meeting, Auckland, New Zealand, March 2016.
- Liver resection for non colorectal, non neuroendocrine liver metastasis, ANZ HPBA Annual scientific meeting, 2015
- En Bloc Resection of Diaphragm and Liver Tumours, ANZ HPBA Annual scientific meeting, 2015
- Safety of extended pancreatectomyand multi-visceral pancreatic resection, ANZ HPBA Annual scientific meeting, 2015
- Stabilised pancreatogastrostomy, ANZ HPBA Annual scientific meeting, 2015
- Epidemiology of pathophysiology of Hepatocellular Carcinoma, ANZ HPBA Training weekend, September 2015.
- Can computer tomography features predict failure of non-operative management in patients with acute adhesive small bowel obstruction?RACS Annual Scientific Conference Perth, May 2015
- Predicting the need for adhesionolysis in patients with small bowel obstruction: Validation of a CT model, UNSW TOW meeting 2014.
- Underlay repair of small ventral hernias using self-expanding polypropylene and ePTFE patch. Oral presentation at The General Surgeons Australia, Annual scientific meeting 2011, Darwin, Australia
- Discovery of novel biomarkers for the diagnosis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Oral presentation at The John Lowenthal Society Scientific Meeting, Sydney, 2009.
- Cytological confirmation of pancreatic adenocarcinoma using SELDI – TOF mass spectrometry. Poster presentation at the University of Sydney, Scientific Research meeting, Sydney 2009
- Has the introduction of an acute surgical program (ASP) had a beneficial effect on the treatment of acute appendicitis?RACS (NSW) annual continuing education meeting, Sydney, Aug 2008 and RACS 77th annual scientific conference Hong Kong, March 2008
- ‘Soft Tissue sarcoma’ RACS NSW educational programme 2011
Current Hospitals Appointments
Arthur Street Specialists
69 Arthur Street
Randwick, NSW 2031
+61 (02) 8599-4360
Prince of wales Public Hospital
New south Wales, 2031
Prince of Wales Private Hospital
New south Wales, 2031
Chris O’Brien Lifehouse
New south wales, 2050
Teaching and Administration
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- 2018 Annual Scientific Meeting Co-Convenor
- 2018 Fellowship Examination Local Co-ordinator
Australian and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato Biliary association
- 2016 to present, Convenor of NSW Journal Club
University of Edinburgh ESSQ program.
- 2017-2019 Masters Supervisor
University of New South Wales
- 2018- present, Clinical lecturer, Prince of Wales Clinical School
- 2018 Phase 2 Clinical Tutor
- 2008-2015, Conjoint associate lecturer
I was born in Manchester, United Kingdom. I stayed in the north of England for my medical and basic surgical training in Leeds and York. I Moved to Australia in 2006, with my wife, who was born in Melbourne.
I am married and have 2 daughters, I live close to my surgical practice allowing me access to my patients at short notice. Away from medicine I enjoy spending time at home and at the beach with my family. Promising rugby and cricket achievements as a young man have made way for a very average game of golf.
Click here for more information Dr. Robert Gandy